Monday 29 July 2013

Sabbatical Day 5 (29 July)




Sabbatical Day 5 (29 July)
Yesterday I took a Sabbath within my Sabbatical and refrained from work. I did though take some time to read further through Margaret Ford's biography of Uganda's Archbishop Janani Luwum. I took advantage of the good weather to sit out in the garden and read. Just as I turned the page to chapter 8, the thunder-clouds gathered, massive drops of rain began to fall and I had to run indoors.The title of chapter 8? 'Storm Clouds Gather'!
I was able to draw together something on the Apostle Paul's leadership on Saturday morning. I preached a sermon recently on Acts 20.17-38, which instead of taking the usual line of focusing on what Paul said to the elders, instead looked at Paul's own leadership style. This was able to form the basis of one of the talks I am to give. However, it is interesting to note that, while I divided the sermon into two parts (with a hymn between the parts) in Greenisland, to enable folk to cope with what was a longer sermon than usual, it was only half the length expected (demanded?) for one of my talks in Uganda. So instead of the usual challenge of 'what to leave out' a different one - 'what more to bring in'.

Our son Andrew was with us over the weekend



We organised a barbecue which my brother John, his wife Patricia and son Jaime came to (their daughter Hannah was pre-booked to another barbecue.David joined us after the picture was taken.
Having been warned about scorpions by Stephen Cowan the day before, I managed to lean back against a wasp that was sucking the resin out of the wooden chair you can see in the picture and got stung in the middle of my back. I don't think I've been stung by a wasp since childhood. Thankfully I had no allergic reaction and the pain was short-lived. With that and the unusually warm weather on holiday in Norfolk and here at home (warmer than it currently is in Kenya) I feel I am being well acclimatised.

This afternoon I visit the Travel Nurse at our local surgery to get the last of my vaccinations: the completion of a three-part course in Rabies.

Do pray for me as I continue today to try to produce the talks for Uganda. Today I want to look at Biblical Leadership as we see it in Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment