Tuesday 30 July 2013

Sabbatical Day 6 (30 July)
I managed to get most of talk 4 done yesterday on Jesus as shepherd, farmer and disciple - as always it will need refining. In the afternoon I went to our local surgery for the last of my vaccinations. We're fortunate in having a  travel clinic in Greenisland with a Travel Nurse.
Apart from the obvious like Tetanus, Diptheria and Polio, I've needed to be vaccinated against
Hepatitis A
Typhoid
Meningitis
Rabies
Yellow Fever

Not all of these are available on the National Health Service. A prescription costs £15 a time (just for the script!). On top of that Meningitis was £45 and Rabies a whopping £109.80!
Still, better to pay the money than get the disease.
Yellow Fever is interesting in that it is a live vaccine (the others are dead). A stock is kept in the surgery, so no prescription needed. It cost £38. A certificate of vaccination is required to enter Uganda and Kenya although I've been told that they tend not to ask for it for people coming from outside Africa. It may be asked for, though, when moving within Africa from Uganda to Kenya,.
Todays' agenda:
To start on the final talk. I want to try to draw things together in this one.
I'll also have to go to Union Theological Library to renew the loan on the books I've taken out and I've a few more things to gather together for taking away, so there are some shops in Belfast to visit.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment