Friday 23 August 2013

Sabbatical Days 28 & 29 (21 & 22 August)



Sabbatical Day 28 (21 August)
Last day in Africa. Don’t lie long but 8.15 is a lot more civilised than 3.30 as a time to get up. Final packing – I’d been able to leave some stuff with the Leremores that I didn’t need in Tuum. Even though I’m taking back less stuff the suitcase feels fuller. As the baggage allowance is 40kg there shouldn’t be a problem. The suitcase was blue when I started but at the moment is a reddish blue with all the dust it’s picked up in the back of the matatus. Gabriel the Taxi driver arrives at 12 noon on the button to pick me up and we get through Nairobi’s notorious traffic jams to arrive at the airport in good time. Because of the recent fire the departures hall is a large marquee with a small food & drink stand and duty free area. There are no departure gates, you’re just called to the front of the tent when it’s time for your flight to board. 
A flight to Cairo by Egyptian Airlines was cancelled and some people were very irate, shouting at the Airport staff. A bit unfair on them as they have nothing to do with Egyptian Air and can’t do anything about it.
I spend my remaining Kenyan shillings on some food (in fact I’m 45/- short) but they let me away with it. My 16.40 flight to Dubai is called at 15.45, and it’s a short walk across the tarmac to the plane. Pleasant flight to Dubai. Dubai airport has WiFi but it doesn’t connect you to the internet – or at least I can’t find how. So phonecall home rather than Skype. I’ve discovefred some seats designed for sleeping in, so won’t try the floor this time. 8 hour overnight between flights so a few hours sleep will be good.

Jim

Sabbatical Day 29 (22 August)
Flight to Dublin at 7.25am and all went smoothly. Into Dublin a little early but then a long queue to get through Passport Control. Bus to Belfast getting in at 3.30pm. Met by Lynda (hooray) and then driven home. Unpack, long bath and relax rest of the day.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment